Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pasta Verde

Friday, snow day. Sofia is home. There is no school. 
What do we do? Home made Pasta of course! 

But this time I decide to teach her how to make a colorful pasta. Of course natural color. This is also a good way to add vegetables to my daughter diet and make it fun for her. I noticed that it's not easy to convince her to eat more greens but if she helps me prepare a dish she is more likely to try it at least!
So...we are making "pasta verde": GREEN PASTA

First we cook a bunch of spinach (we used frozen one but you can use fresh too).
When the spinach is ready, drain away excess water and mash into a smooth puree using a blender or the "mezzaluna".


Ingredients:

1 egg
Salt

Olive oil
150g/5oz fresh or frozen spinach
250g/8.8oz plain/all-purpose flour



Preparation:

I make my dough with the food processor, it is easier and less messy!


Place the spinach together with the olive oil, the egg and the flour in the blender and blend until you have have a dough that it's not too sticky and can be kneaded.
Knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes.

Cover the dough with plastic and let it rest for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.



We decided to make tagliatelle with our GREEN PASTA. My mom use to make lasagne or "il rotolo of spinach and ricotta"  (next post) but Sofia and I today want to go out to enjoy the rest of the free day and the snow!



Ciao a tutti e Buon Appetito!

2 comments: