Friday, March 15, 2013

The Kitchen calls for LOVE, TIME and PATIENCE


It was only after I moved to the US that I realized how lucky I was to have learned -without even realizing it- the art of Italian cooking! I really think that cooking is therapeutic. Nothing makes me happier now than to prepare delicious meals for my family and friends and also to teach my daughter Sofia.

Fresh herbs at my parent's house in Conegliano
I remember afternoons after school and long summers spent at my nonna's house.
The kitchen was my favorite place, and for a reason. 
Nonna loved to bake cakes, cookies - specially "brutti ma buoni"- and the most delicious donuts. She called them "krapfen" or sometimes "bomboloni". The krapfen were  filled with homemade "marmellata" or with pastry cream. 
All her grandchildren (11) were gathered around her..wonder why? 
This is my nonna Elena when she was 18 years old
My mamma Jones was also a great cook. 
This is my mamma when she was 18 years old
It seemed so easy and fast for her to make fresh pasta, tortellini, lasagna, tagliatelle, all kinds of gnocchi, colorful and tasty "zuppa di pesce"  (fish soup), delicious "contorni" (side dishes)! 
She could really put together amazing meals for her five children and "con amore". Everyday. 
Unfortunately I only realized this when I became a mother myself.

The love and passion of preparing food, to look carefully for the best ingredients at the open market, grow and collect fresh vegetables, fruits and aromatic herbs from the garden, is one of the greatest gift my mother and grandmother could offer to me. And one of the dearest memory.



I found this interesting and wise quote in an old cookbook that belonged to my grandmother. Here is the translation:

"The kitchen (or cooking) calls for love, time and patience. In these elements is contained the preciousness of the family table"


NOTE ABOUT THE COOKBOOK:In 1927 the Carli firm (Olive Oil) was appointed supplier to the Papal Establishment. In 1937 the equivalent honour was granted by the Royal Household. In the mid thirties, Mr. Amedeo Pettini, a former Head Chef of the Royal family was engaged by Carli to compile a book of recipes which became immensely popular. Since then Carli has distributed over two million copies to its customers. 
The war brought hard times; the plant was totally destroyed and, due to oil rationing before and after the reconstruction of production facilities, eight years passed before Carli customers could be served again.
(http://www.oliocarli.com/us/carl/carl2.htm)





No comments:

Post a Comment